This lesson day was interesting and fun for a couple of reasons.

Coding:

It was cool, simple (for someone like me who’s skills are at the beginning of his digital journey outside of emails, reports, youtube and instagram hehe) and broken down via clips and videos that describes how coding works, what the purpose of it is and how you can use it in activities and class.

I had fun with the alphabet mat and can see how students would get into it as they would thinking it was a game rather than actual work. The minecraft coding game would definitely hook my students as they’re fans of video games so I can see them gravitating towards that particular activity. But the most fun I think I had was with code. In code your basically creating a routine dance from the ground up, adding characters, their types of dance, the stage and background even down to the music, this is another thing I think my students would get into (probably need headphones though especially with 23 of them in the 1 class.)

Overall, I can definitely see the relevance of coding and how it goes hand in hand with chromebooks, especially if in the future one of my tauira ends up wanting to become a computer tech of sorts.

Computational thinking:

As mentioned, and obviously the reason I did this course, this is the beginning of my online journey using sites more often and having chromebooks as well as being 1 to 1 in class. So this got me thinking and noticing a lot of different things that you could do with students, not just the ‘add slides’ or ‘make a presentation’ or even just using docs. This has got me thinking about how to create or link ideas to my students, sharing what I think could benefit them overall as well as creating our own unique class site, one that even they would be proud of.

I have the tabs still up on my laptop even as I type this blog up just so I can remind myself of what I can do with my tauira or some of things I want to do with them and I can’t wait to explore with them.